Rawene School is a full primary school of approximately 95 Year 1-8 students. The students attending the school come from a large geographical area and many of the students travel to school each day by bus.
The school provides high quality educational opportunities for its students and as a result is well supported by the communities it serves.
The first school was built in 1859. The current Rawene School main building is of a 1940’s vintage and comprises of a block of five classrooms and an office area. Other original stand-alone buildings are a dental clinic, a separate care takers shed, and a storage shed. In 1992 a stand-alone house was purchased from Kaitaia Intermediate and now serves as a staffroom and an extra learning space. As the roll increased in 1998 two prefab classrooms were added. The buildings are set amidst 5 hectares of landscaped grounds and playing fields, which provide a very pleasant setting.
Rawene School is an Enviro school – there is an orchard with a variety of seasonal fruits; feijoa, orange, lemon, peach, nectarine and mandarin. Raised vegetable plots are placed strategically around the school with the emphasis on cultivating heritage seedlings and serving Garden to Table menus.
Rawene School has a number of sporting resources (pavilion, swimming pool, fields and courts) which are frequently used by the community.